Illuminate your child’s inventive spirit with our 2015 program!
The Camp Invention curriculum is new each and every year to ensure that our participants have a dynamic and memorable summer experience!
The 2015 program is themed “Illuminate TM” and was developed by some of our nation’s most brilliant minds including experienced educators, Inductees of the National Inventors Hall of Fame and members of the United States Patent and Trademark Office. IlluminateTM will encourage your child to explore their inventiveness and problem solving skills with experiences that will harness their curiosity, inspire creativity and evoke a sense of accomplishment!
Your child will not want to miss out on the chance to imagine, tinker and invent prototypes that they can take home with them this summer! IlluminateTMwill generate excitement and encourage a passion for innovation that will open up a world of new possibilities! The IlluminateTM curriculum features five energetic and fun-filled modules that incorporate Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) activities, which will empower your creative thinker and further inspire them to innovate and solve problems!
World-renowned inventors have influenced Camp Invention’s curriculum for 25 years. The InductedTM module will introduce your child to innovation role models and give them a first-hand account of what it takes to make their mark on the world and get into the National Inventors Hall of Fame! During this module, your child will receive personalized messages from Inductees as well as an invention-based challenge from innovators who have revolutionized the world in various industries including medical advancements and digital music technology. As your child shoots for the stars with their very own creative solutions to an underwater archaeological challenge, you’ll be impressed with how their ideas on building a marine exploration vehicle will get them inducted into their very own hall of fame – the Camp Invention Hall of Fame!
InductedTM will provide your child with:
- New role models from accomplished innovators and a real-world example of the journey to get into the National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Hands on experience to better understand how shape and structure influence a building’s strength and physical integrity through a materials science investigation
- New understanding of what trajectory is and how to land their custom-built space rocket on both fixed and moving targets
Design Studio: IlluminateTM
Does your child like to build and design big ideas? Our Design Studio: IlluminateTM might be their favorite module yet! Children will be empowered to explore their creativity in our innovation laboratory, where they can design their own invention, investigate circuits or taking on a nature-inspired design challenge. As they dream, tinker and make discoveries, they will have a chance to invent a prototype from scratch and explore math from a new angle when they create origami flight models during team-building exercises. We’ll introduce campers to accomplished inventors in higher education who have participated as Finalists in the Collegiate Inventors Competition!
Design Studio: IlluminateTM will provide your child with:
- Self-directed learning and enhanced self-confidence as they pick their own challenge throughout the progression of the module
- Inspiration from real-world invention and entrepreneur role models that have participated in the Collegiate Inventors Competition and have brought their innovation from an idea to commercialization
- Newly established creativity and innovation skills that foster collaboration and show the benefit of choosing their own challenge and participating in brainstorming sessions
I Can Invent: Next Level GamersTM
No matter if your child is an avid video gamer or plays occasionally, they will love the opportunity to help the Camp Invention Gaming Labs come up with the next must-have video game called MazeWorld! Campers will have the opportunity to reverse engineer high tech-components of non-working devices such as upcycled and re-powered gears, motors, magnets and other gadgets to build their very own three-dimensional physical video game prototype that features a strategic maze and multiple levels! Students will collaborate with other team members to develop a storyline for their video game featuring characters including a superhero and a villain that will go on a quest to overcome obstacles developed by the campers. Once their video game prototype is patent-worthy and complete, the team will earn the title of “Next Level GamersTM.”
I Can Invent: Next Level GamersTM will provide your child with:
- Exposure to a complete STEM experience through team building, reverse engineering of broken appliances and the creation of a MazeWorld video game prototype
- New understanding of spatial relationships and necessary problem solving skills that will help them build and navigate the maze
- Product-based and entrepreneurial thinking through strategic video game design that will encourage participants to address user-experience, game-play operation, aesthetic value and overall functionality
- Knowledge base on the importance of intellectual property and new-found understanding of the role that patents, trademarks and copyrights play in the landscape of invention and innovation
Future engineers will love the opportunity to create a freestyle race kart that can withstand water and navigate the ultimate wet terrain obstacle course! With exposure to the world of physics through their participation in daily Hydrochallenges, such as Lever Launch and Super Sling, campers will collaborate with their team members to earn points and spend them in the Hardware Store on materials to upgrade their karts. Once their kart is complete, campers will put their STEM skills to the test in a grand finale race across the finish line to see who will be the fastest KartWheelTM racer!
KartWheelTM will provide your child with:
- 21st century skills of teamwork and communication methods that will help them complete group challenges by learning how to listen and evaluate their teammates’ ideas
- Basic understanding of entrepreneurship, math and deductive reasoning on best ways to ration and spend points for new parts and kart additions from the Hardware Store
- Practical hands-on application of STEM skills that are developed during the assembly of their working kart
M.O.V.E.: Motion, Obstacles, Variety, ExcitementTM
Our campers are movers and shakers and we want to encourage them to use that momentum in our kinesthetic learning module! Participants will use their imagination as they reach for the stars and get in motion, overcome obstacles, make variations to classic games and build excitement during this activity! During this high-energy and vibrant series of physical activities that promote 21st century thinking and moving, campers will be encouraged to exercise their teamwork, cooperation and collaboration skills. Students will strategize and problem solve their way to self-confidence through an activity that’s like recess, only reinvented!
M.O.V.ETM will provide your child with:
- Physical activity which will help to improve academic performance
- New understanding of advanced science concepts through kinesthetic play, allowing them to further explore the relationship that academics can have on hands-on games
- Strategic communication and collaboration skills with other campers, where they can build upon each other’s thoughts and the clear expression of ideas
*Programs with more than 90 participants run M.O.V.E. Camps with fewer than 90 participants participate in exciting team-building kinesthetic games during their lunch break.